Sweet potatoes, once considered a strictly Thanksgiving food have taken the world by storm. It’s no wonder why everyone’s catching on to these sweet and healthy treats. They are jam packed with health benefits including…
– Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamin C. Not only does vitamin C fight cold and flu viruses, it also produces collagen making the skin appear healthy and youthful. Vitamin C has also been known to help the body handle stress.
– High levels of vitamin B6 have been known to reduce a chemical called homocysteine in the body, thus reducing the occurrence of heart attacks.
– Vitamin D boosts our immune system as well as promotes a healthy mood, high levels of energy, and healthy bones, skin, and teeth.
– Potassium is a key electrolyte which helps to regulate the heart beat. It also supports healthy muscle and kidney function.
– Magnesium aka the anti stress mineral is present in sweet potatoes. It also plays an important role in healthy heart and nerve function. Magnesium has also been known to help with sleep disorders.
– Iron helps our bodies to metabolize protein, cope with stress, and function at their best.
– Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene which is said to strengthen eyesight, boost immunity, and even ward off certain cancers.
– The natural sugars in sweet potatoes help to regulate blood sugar, combating fatigue and weight gain.
– Lastly, sweet potatoes are delicious! Enjoy them at your holiday meal, or any meal for that matter and take advantage of their amazing health benefits.
We are thrilled to be carrying SkinMedica’s Lytera Brightening System. Lytera is a non-prescription cream that brightens the skin, improves it’s overall condition and tone, and reduces the appearance of skin discoloration and dark spots all without the use of hydroquinone.
Lytera users have noticed an improvement in their skin in as little as four weeks with significant improvement after only twelve. Lytera is appropriate for all skin types and is formulated to improve clarity, evenness, and the skin’s overall appearance. Apply Lytera twice daily after cleansing and toning to the face, neck, and chest. Sun exposure should be limited while using the Lytera brightening system and those who are pregnant or lactating are not encouraged to use this product.
– Hexylresorcinol: Helps to brighten the skin.
– Tetrapeptide-30: Skin brightening peptide.
– 4-Ethoxybenzaldehyde: Helps even skin tone and brighten skin.
– Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract: Natural extract, rich in glabridin, a highly effective antioxidant with excellent skin brightening qualities.
– Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate: A stable, lipid-soluble ester form of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
– Niacinamide: Vitamin B3 improves skin moisturization and helps to enhance the barrier function of the skin. Helps promote even looking skin tone.
– Ethyl Linoleate:Essential fatty acid ester helps promote even looking skin tone and helps support barrier function.
– Squalane:Mimics the lipid content of skin and helps support the skin barrier and is skin’s first line of defense against water loss.
– Retinol:Lipid-soluble vitamin A helps smooth dry, thick and rough skin by enhancing exfoliation. Helps even skin tone.
– Dunaliella Salina Extract:Natural colorless carotenoids of phytoene and phytofluene extracted from unicellular algae. Colorless carotenoids help quench free radicals and brighten the skin.
Let’s talk cranberries… yes, they are delicious on your Thanksgiving turkey, but did you know that they are absolutely packed with health benefits.
Cranberries are loaded with antioxidants and essential nutrients. These little red berries have been shown to battle heart disease as they lower bad cholesterol, treat urinary tract infections due to their high levels of proanthocyanidins, promote weight loss by improving your metabolism, slow the aging process by fighting free radicals, relieve skin conditions such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis, and fight certain types of cancers by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
When you sit down at this year’s Thanksgiving table it may be appropriate to give thanks for this wonderful red berry.
‘Tis the season… for the flu! While flu season tends to peak between January and February, it typically starts to surface in late October. Though each season’s flu can be unpredictable when it comes to strain, severity, and length, we can readily predict that there will be a flu epidemic each and every year.
Flu viruses are constantly evolving and new strains seem to surface each year. The flu vaccine is intended to guard against the three major strains that are expected to cause the most illness. The CDC recommends that everyone over the age of 6 months receive a yearly flu vaccine early in the season. Don’t forget to protect yourself and others by practicing good hand hygiene, keeping your distance from those who are already sick, and staying home if you yourself come down with the flu to prevent spreading it to others.
You think it will never happen to you or a loved one, but unfortunately dog bites are not a rare occurrence. It is estimated that 4.5 million Americans are bitten each year, half of whom are children. Having dogs in the home increases the risk of being bitten, however, many dog bite cases involve dogs and victims that have no relationship with one another.
Children should learn dog safety at a young age. This includes the proper way to interact with their own dogs as well as how to approach unfamiliar dogs and what to do if an unfamiliar dog approaches them. Children should not be taught to fear dogs as they are wonderful creatures that bring joy to so many people. Studies have shown that children who grow up with dogs are often happier, calmer, more confident, caring, responsible, inquisitive, and outgoing. Adults should do their part to educate children in dog safety and research various breeds before they are brought into the home.
Though proper safety precautions may reduce the incidence of dog bites unfortunately they still do occur. These bites often result in serious injury and even death. Each year 885,000 dog bite victims require serious medical attention including reconstructive surgery. Dr. Vecchione treats dog bite victims on a regular basis. The physical and emotional scars incurred from a dog bite can be devastating and long lasting. Our team at Vecchione Plastic Surgery is here to assist you throughout the healing process.
The Vecchione Plastic Surgery website got a facelift (pun intended). We like to keep current as plastic surgery is a constantly evolving industry. We revamped our website so that it may better assist you in answering your questions, supplying you with important information, and help you to make an informed decision when it comes to you, your health, and your appearance.
Unfortunately, Acne can be an issue at any age. Some are just prone to acne, while others experience it due to weather, environmental factors, diet, and stress. Whatever the case may be, nobody appreciates pimples popping up on their face. It’s just plain rude.
Fortunately, SkinMedica’s Purifying Toner may be just what the doctor ordered. It is formulated for acne-prone skin and can be very effective. This product contains salicylic acid which helps remove impurities from the skin. Apply this toner all over the face and affected area 1-3 times daily.
Salicylic acid 2.0% → A beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) with keratolytic activity to help open clogged sebaceous follicles. It helps dissolve the top layers of the stratum corneum cells and remove impurities, improving the look and feel of the skin.
Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract → A natural preservative that helps support healthy skin.
Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract → A natural source of beta hydroxy acid that provides mild exfoliating activity.
To learn more about SkinMedica’s Purifying Toner please visit their website.
You probably wouldn’t think twice about spreading some peanut butter on your morning toast or maybe even eating it right out of the jar… but have you ever considered it’s undervalued colleague, sunflower seed butter?
Sunbutter packs a powerful punch when it comes to health benefits… high levels of unsaturated fat [the good kind of fat], zinc, magnesium, and vitamin E to name a few. A tablespoon of sunbutter contains around 100 calories, similar to peanut butter. It also contains similar amounts of protein and sugar, however, it contains less saturated fat and twice as much fiber.
The skinny on fat: While saturated fats can lead to heart disease among other things, unsaturated fats can lower cholesterol and help to fight inflammation. At 9 grams of fat per tablespoon and nearly 90 percent of those fats being the unsaturated kind, sunbutter can be a great way to incorporate healthy fats into your diet.
Sunbutter also contains high levels of vitamin E. Just one tablespoon contains 25 percent of the recommended daily intake. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that fights free radicals and battles inflammation. Vitamin E promotes circulation of the blood which is wonderful for your skin and hair.
Magnesium is extremely important in order for your body to function properly. Over 300 metabolic processes depend on it. Magnesium can help to fight osteoporosis, relieve PMS, and improve the parathyroid function. It also protects against cardiovascular disease and hypertension. Magnesium has been proven beneficial in the battle against diabetes. It can also help with migraines, insomnia, and depression.
All in all, sunflower seed butter can make a great addition to your diet. It is packed with so many health benefits and it’s tasty too. It’s a wonderful alternative for people with various nut allergies. Remember this post about MUFAs? Sunflower seeds are loaded with omega-3s making them a wonderful option. Pick up a jar at your local health food store. You and your body are in for a healthy treat.
This week we are featuring SkinMedica’s TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream. This product is ideal for dry or post-procedure skin. TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream contains SkinMedica’s patented TNS growth factors. These growth factors are proteins that are naturally inherent in our bodies. They play a role in both the activity of our cells and the maintenance of healthy skin. SkinMedica’s patented Ceramide technology hydrates the skin and strengthens the skin’s natural barrier, protecting it from external elements and environmental stressors.
TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream should be applied both morning and night to the face, neck, and decollate after cleansing, toning, and applying other treatments to the skin. If you are using this product as part of your post-procedure plan, please ask Dr. Vecchione for any special instructions.
Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitamide MEA (Ceramide) →Skin barrier agent that helps promote and maintain the moisture mantle of the skin and enhances the skin texture.
Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media (TNS®) → A physiologically balanced, naturally secreted and stabilized growth factor blend.
Palmitoyl Oligopeptide → A synthetic tripeptide designed to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 → A synthetic peptide designed to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
To learn more about TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream please visit their website. If you’d like to read about our other TNS featured products you may do so here and here.